Annual returns changes for charities

Charity governance is very much in the spotlight at the moment and with recent changes to annual returns for charities, it’s important that charities are aware of what they are required do to ensure that they comply. Doug Perry, partner at Clayton & Brewill, explains the changes and what it means for charities.

Clayton & Brewill give seven good reasons to file your self assessment tax return before 31 decemberAlthough charity law varies across the UK, charity governance is very much in the spotlight. The Charity Commission for England and Wales (CCEW) recently reported that nearly 40% of small charities – those with annual income below 25,000 – submitted inaccurate financial information.

The CCEW is concerned that those given the job of submitting small charity annual returns should be sufficiently skilled to perform the role accurately. It highlighted the fact that failure to provide accurate financial information can be misleading and negatively impact levels of trust in the general public.

Changes to annual returns for charities – what to expect

Charity annual returns must be submitted no later than 10 months after the end of the financial year, and charity trustees must keep the charity’s registered details up to date.

From November 2018, the service to update these details changed. All charities must now check and update their details online before they can submit their annual return. Charities will only need to provide missing information the first time they sign in, or when they need to update their charity details. Charities will be able to choose which sections or information to edit and update.

Information required includes all current trustee names; their contact details, including an email address; and details of the charity UK bank/building society accounts. Bank/building society details will not be available publicly.

From 1 April 2019, full legal names will show to the public, and trustees will not be able to use a ‘public display’ name on the charity register. If, however, this would cause personal danger to an individual, it is possible to apply for a dispensation.

New annual return questions

In the 2018 return, new questions are introduced, which can be previewed before signing in. Some are optional for 2018, but mandatory from 2019. They are intended to allay public concerns, for example about high levels of pay in charities, or to highlight possible areas of risk, say in relation to money transfer overseas.

New questions for 2018 include a breakdown of salaries across income bands, and the amount of total employee benefits for the highest paid member of staff. There are also questions about the use of professional fundraisers; receipt of grants and contracts from central government and local authorities; and questions on safeguarding children and adults at risk. If at all you face any difficulties with regards to charity law, get in touch with lawyers from H3 Solicitors or other similar firms.

Overseas expenditure is another area of scrutiny. Charities spending money outside England and Wales will need to explain if they have transferred money overseas by a means other than the regulated banking system. Other questions concern controls to monitor overseas expenditure, and whether trustees are satisfied that risk management policies and procedures are adequate for charity activities and place of operations. These are mandatory from 2019, but optional for 2018. Questions about income received from outside the UK are also introduced. Again, some are optional.

Next steps

The new returns will mean some additional work for charities and may also require a change to financial systems to capture relevant detail.

With charity governance very much under scrutiny, it’s important to seek professional advice to ensure you are submitting accurate financial information.

We work with numerous charities providing advice and support to ensure they meet their requirements. For more information on the changes to annual returns, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Share this post

How can we help?


Whether you are a limited company, a sole trader or partnership, Clayton & Brewill can take care of your accountancy needs, giving you valuable insight and support and leaving you free to concentrate on other areas of your business.

Corporate tax

Clayton & Brewill offers efficient and cost-effective tax advice and support for owner-managed businesses, sole traders and partnerships.

Personal tax

Specialist, personal advice on income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax.


Clayton & Brewill can help you comply with your statutory audit requirements as well as working with you to use the annual audit to identify areas for improvement and growth.